According to PH consulate working with Italian gov't in probing fraud cases | Global News (inquirer.net), on October 2nd, the Philippine Consulate in Milan said that it has been collaborating with Italian authorities since last month in order to look into the fraud and unlawful hiring cases that have affected over 200 Filipinos.
According to a statement released by the consulate general, Consul General Elmer Cato met with Prefect Renato Saccone, the highest-ranking official representing the Italian federal government, in Milan on September 4. He said he asked the Italian official for help in confirming the legitimacy of the Italian work permits gathered from complainants and witnesses in Italy and the Philippines.
Cato said that when the documents were found to be fraudulent, Sacconne quickly established a task group that will aid complainants in bringing the proper charges against individuals implicated.
The Consulate began getting complaints from the family and representatives of about 215 job seekers in the Philippines who claimed they lost more than P38.7 million, according to Cato, who said Saccone's meeting with them occurred after the complaints were made.
Elmer Cato, the consul general, reaffirmed his appeal for more complainants to come forward and lodge their complaints against the organizations that had duped them.
Several Filipinos are anticipated to formally register their complaints, the Consulate, according to him. As of this past Monday, 51 people had already complained about three people and two organizations.
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and the Department of Migrant Workers (DMW), according to PH consulate working with Italian gov't in probing fraud cases | Global News (inquirer.net), have announced that Italian attorneys will help complainants bring legal actions against the parties in question.
The Consulate, at the same time, reported that several more members of the Filipino community have come forward to ask for assistance as a result of this announcement.