Typhoon Bising forced 137,532 people to evacuate in Philippines
According to INQUIRER.NET, floods and landslides caused by moderate to heavy rain dumped by Typhoon “Bising” (Surigae), which affected Bicol region from April 17-19, forced 39,341 families or 137,532 people to leave their homes, the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) said.
Gremil Alexis Naz, spokesperson for OCD Bicol, said as of April 19 morning, Albay had the highest number of evacuees with 75,937; followed by Catanduanes (38,124); Camarines Sur (22,294); Sorsogon (1,805); Masbate (292); and Camarines Norte (34).
The evacuees were from areas prone to floods, landslides, mudflows and storm surges.
INQUIRER.NET mentions, the bodies of two people who were believed to have drowned during the onslaught of Bising were found in the spillway of Barangay Curry in Pili town in Camarines Sur on Monday morning, authorities said.
The victims were identified as Simeon Sto. Domingo, 61, and Precy Panganiban, 56. The authorities said the victims were trying to cross the spillway, which had already overflowed on Sunday afternoon due to incessant rain.
Flooding was also reported in low-lying areas in the towns of San Miguel, Panganiban, Gigmoto and Virac.
Flooding also affected the towns of Ocampo, Lagonoy, San Jose and Baao in Camarines Sur, leaving roads impassable to all types of vehicles.
INQUIRER.NET adds, the Philippine Coast Guard in Bicol reported that 959 passengers bound for Visayas and Mindanao and 324 rolling cargoes were still stranded in various ports in Bicol.
The damage caused by Bising to agriculture was initially estimated to amount to P45.93 million, the Department of Agriculture said.
The typhoon also destroyed 1,600 hectares of rice, corn and high-value crops, as well as livestock and poultry farms.
Over 3,000 metric tons of produce were lost, affecting 765 farmers.
Bising is expected to leave the Philippine area of responsibility on April 25 after lashing the eastern portion of the country with heavy rain and strong winds.