According to Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC), the second phase of a special program that allows foreign workers to enter Taiwan will begin starting February 15, 2022. The second phase of the program will require foreign workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in the country of origin before their entry into Taiwan.
After foreign workers arrive in Taiwan, their employers can arrange for them to stay at a quarantine hotel to complete quarantine and self-health management; both foreign workers and employers must abide by related epidemic prevention rules and guidelines.
Employers need to arrange a 14-day quarantine together with 7-day self-health management for migrant workers. (Photo / Retrieved from Pixabay)
The CECC pointed out that the first phase of the program would expire soon, and the accumulated points system introduced in the first phase would be canceled starting February 15, on which the second phase would begin. Employers may bring in foreign workers from Indonesia, Vietnam, the Philippines, and Thailand in the second phase.
Cai Meng Liang (蔡孟良), the Minister of Labor of Workforce Development Agency, mentioned that foreign workers entering Taiwan are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and serve a 14-day quarantine together with 7-day self-health management.
Moreover, employers need to pay salaries from the starting date of serving self-health management.
Besides, employers of industries must pay for foreign workers’ fees of serving quarantines. On the other side, employers of social welfare organizations would be able to apply for subsidies of half of the fees. The maximum subsidies given to employers for each foreign worker will be NT$1,250 per day, and that of the 21-day quarantine & self-management will be NT$26,250.
The second phase of a special program that allows foreign workers to enter Taiwan will begin starting February 15, 2022. (Photo / Provided by MOL)
Details are as follows
- Before entering Taiwan, migrant workers should have been fully vaccinated, and the vaccination certificate should be uploaded to the Entry And Departure Of The Foreign Labor Airport Care Service, and approved after verification.
- Employers should arrange for migrant workers to stay in the quarantine hotel, and report to the municipal or county (city) government where the quarantine hotel is in advance. After migrant workers complete the 14-day quarantine, they should stay in the same quarantine hotel for 7 days of self-health management before going to the workplace.
- The CECC makes overall arrangements for collective quarantine beds. If there are any available for inbound migrant workers to use, the Ministry of Labor may open up applications for employers in a timely manner and enter the country accordingly based on the date when the migrant workers obtained entry visas.
- Due to the special needs of the industry, after being approved by the CECC, the competent authorities of the central government agencies may plan the quarantine dormitory for migrant workers and coordinate the management responsibilities of the quarantine dormitory.
- Other epidemic prevention measures should be implemented in the same way as in the first phase, including the source country should reduce the number of overseas training centers, the migrant workers should complete PCR testing and one-room isolation before entering the country, and purchase medical insurance, and conduct PCR testing immediately after entry, after the quarantine is over, PCR testing will be conducted again, and the follow-up will be linked to self-health management and another rapid antigen test will be done according to regulations.
According to the aforementioned epidemic prevention regulations, if the employer fails to comply with the regulations, the Ministry of Labor will punish the employer for violating the “Employment Services Act” or revoke the employment permit.